It has been 11 years since I last set foot to a place called 'school'. The last time I went to my school, was when I went there to get my temporary SPM certificate.
Seriously, I haven't claim my official certificate until today. That was lame I know but I am not the only one who did this. When I was there today, I saw more than 50 unclaimed certificates!
Some names seem familiar. Beverly Lo, Chin Kim Fong, Lim Siu Ting and so on.. My former classmates. I can't believe that I still remember some of them. But I also can't believe that I no longer know some such as Tan Khai Loon, Lee Set Mei and a few other names. These names sound so unfamiliar for me. Yet they are my former classmates too!
I also bumped into one of my former teacher. I don't remember his name but I know he teached me Bahasa Melayu (yes, Bahasa Malaysia was once known as Bahasa Melayu) when I was in Form 2. He.. remembers who am I!
When I crossed path with him, we chatted a bit..
Teacher: "Eh?! You're my former students. What are you doing here today?".
Me: "Oh.. uh.. I am here for my SPM certificate".
Teacher: "Wah! Now only you come to get it ar?!".
Me: [Laugh] "Ya.. I was in New Zealand for years. I came back in July (obviously, that's a lie)".
Teacher: "I see. Come, I'll get it for you".
Me: "Okay. Thanks".
After I am done, before I left my school's general office, my former teacher asked me to drop by anytime and spend him to a cup of tea at the canteen. I smiled and said "Sure". Well, I didn't mean it. But why not?
Okay.. how does it feels like to re-visit my school a decade later? It feels odd to be honest. It feels like you are going home to a place you used to be in but the place has changed so much that you can hardly remember anything about it.
The only place I see haven't change in my school is the 'Pusat Minda'. Not really didn't change at all. They seems to have added some racks there where they keep some reading material.
There is one weird feeling actually. Those students there.. They are so very young. I feel like I am very old when I was there. In fact, I am. I am 28 anyway. Could have been their teacher don't you think?!
While I saw only one former teacher of mine, I think some of the others are still there. Mr. Koh, Mr. Chan, Miss Lim, Miss Agnes are there I think because I saw their names and pictures on the notice board, alongside the other teachers' in the 'Barisan Guru-guru SM Holy Trinity 2011'. There were a lot of new faces there too. Faces I never seen.
Those students seem rather interested with my presence. I am sure, for them, I am an outsider in their school compound. Probably they thought I am a new teacher because I walked beside my former teacher? Or maybe they were jealous with me because I am wearing jeans and t-shirt (something they can't wear in the school compound). LOL
The short ten minutes I was there is a very special feeling. Like I said, it feels like you are finally home at somewhere you used to spend your time 'growing up' after so very many years that the place feels different because it has changed.
I wonder if I will ever set foot there again. Maybe not.. I never have much friends back in my time in secondary school because I talk so little and for me, I counted only less than 10 close friends in my social circle back then.
Well, today, I went back there and then I left. This time, maybe for good. Goodbye Holy Trinity, my home where I grew up in. The five years I spent under your roof is not much enjoyable for me back then but now, I see you as the place where wonderful memories happen despite of my shortness of friends back then.
No comments:
Post a Comment