Monday, June 13, 2011

T.E.C.H.N.O.L.O.G.Y

Today, I'm not going to post anything about feelings and dreams. Today, I'm going ask you one question and tell you something about technology.

The question I'm going to ask you is, "What is your most up to date technology related possession?". I'm sure like everyone else, you do own a calculator right (or maybe used to own one)? It's like the most simple piece of gadget. In case you don't, I'm sure you're still a 'calculator' user through your mobile phone..

Are you a science/former science student? Then you've gotta own a scientific calculator. It's an advanced kinda calculator. And then, comes along the PC. Desktop, personal computer, mini work station, whatever you call it, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about right? My very first PC runs Windows 95! How archaic if you look at it now!

Long story short, the laptops came soon after that, to give us a portable PC. And not too long after that, Palm (PDA) came, trying to make PCs even smaller. But the problem is PDAs are not as 'advanced' as a PC so another PC came, by the name 'pocket computer'.

Then.. Mobile phones started to expand their functions list by adding PDAs' features. Calculator and notes are amongst the new functions we get. We call this new generation of phones 'feature phones'. Nowadays however, we call these phone 'dumb phones'. Why? Because they're not as 'smart' as smartphones which can surf the net, play videos, games and songs, add apps to bring more functions to our phone and so the list goes on and on..

That was the smartphone. Now we have super phones! Dual-core is the new 'in' as we say it. Samsung has one in the Galaxy S II which carry a 1.2Ghz dual-core processor. In case you don't know, our current laptops run dual-core too. That means super phones catched up with PC technology. Soon enough, super phones might even surpass PCs with quad-cores.

I don't predict this. It's already shown to the world. Tegra 3 processors runs at quad-core speed. That might be 2Ghz or more. Add this powerful processor's processing power with a 2 or 3GB RAM, and you get the new super phone formula. That's magnificent right? Our PC that runs quad-core is too expensive for you? Don't worry. You sure can afford a quad-core super phone which might cost less than 2k (MYR). Hey.. Smartphones/super phones' pricing trend are 'going down, not up' (Xperia X10 costs 2.7k (MYR) when it was released one year ago. Its successor the Arc costs 2.1k (MYR)).

That is raw power. What about functions? I am sure companies like Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony Ericsson and so on will try and push themselves beyond the boundary and throw in new functions like a touch screen you can use without even touching it (just by gesturing your hand in front of it, like what we saw Tom Cruise doing in Minority Report). Hey.. Don't say it's impossible because touch screen phones are just as 'impossible' ten years ago.

Ten years in technology time is like a hundred years. Ya I can say that because it sure feels so. Ten years later, we might travel in cars we don't really have to drive. You don't believe it? Google's done it already! Besides, we can see cars that auto-park itself in Japan now. It was simply an innovation from ten years ago.

The technology of the future is truly beyond our imagination. We can dream today, and next year it might be on the street already.

So much talking about technology, what is the conclusion? Well, that's gonna be "I want a Samsung Galaxy S II!".

No comments:

Post a Comment